Signed in as:
Signed in as:
A number of years ago, there was a strong desire by Sisters and Ex-Students to encapsulate the lives of the Presentation Sisters Wagga Wagga, the history of the Mount Erin site and the many students who were educated by the Sisters and their colleagues from 1874. In 2013, with the support of the Congregational Leadership Team, a committee was convened to make the Mount Erin Heritage Centre a reality and tell the story of the living out of the charism of Nano Nagle.
The Mount Erin Heritage Centre is located at Wagga Wagga in the original Mount Erin Convent which was built 1874-76. This historic place is where five Presentation Sisters from Ireland established a convent and school in 1876. In the first two years, the Sisters established the first school in a disused stable in Johnson Street, near the current Cathedral while the convent was being built. Since then several schools have existed on the current site including St Brigid’s, St Marys, St Agnes’ Kindergarten, St Eugene’s, Mount Erin High School, Trinity Senior High School and presently Kildare Catholic College.
The Heritage Centre displays the history of the Presentation Sisters in the Riverina and beyond. A timeline, changes in dress, photographs and unique memorabilia show the Sisters’ life and Mission over the years. A harp brought from Ireland by the pioneer women and priceless lace are among the exhibits.
The Mount Erin Heritage Centre is situated in the original first classroom of St Mary’s which is now part of the Kildare Catholic College Campus.
This is the story of the Ministries of the Presentation Sisters of Wagga Wagga.
In 1874, five Sisters responded to the invitation to come from Kildare, Ireland to Wagga Wagga to establish a school where children could be instructed in the Catholic Faith as well as other subjects that would help them on their life journey. It was fitting that their first school began in a stable. They lived for two years in the Cathedral Presbytery in cramped conditions and finally, on completion of Mount Erin convent in 1876, the Sisters moved and their convent and school were officially opened on 8 December.
Copyright © 2024 Mount Erin Heritage Centre - All Rights Reserved.