Signed in as:
Signed in as:
This is the story of the Ministries of the Presentation Sisters of Wagga Wagga.
In 1874, five Sisters responded to the invitation to come from Kildare, Ireland to Wagga Wagga to establish a school where children could be instructed in the Catholic Faith as well as other subjects that would help them on their life journey. It was fitting that their first school began in a stable. They lived for two years in the Cathedral Presbytery in cramped conditions and finally, on completion of Mount Erin convent in 1876, the Sisters moved and their convent and school were officially opened on 8 December.
CHANGES IN RELIGIOUS LIFE - VATICAN II
In 1962 Pope John XXIII inaugurated a gathering of the Catholic Bishops of the world, known as the Second Vatican Council. The Documents produced by this extraordinary event challenged the church in many new ways, including Religious and Laity. The Presentation Sisters of Wagga Wagga were led by wise and prayerful women who responded by returning to the study of the charism of their foundress, Nano Nagle. Up until now, Catholic Education was the main focus of the Sisters’ ministries.
Nano’s dream was that her Sisters would answer the ‘needs of the time’ as she did in the 1700s. Following Vatican II, the Sisters were challenged to go out again to the poor and needy, to be in places where there were great needs. They also kept the gift of education going in different ways. At this time the ‘Tent’ was widening again and new doors were opened for the various ministries of the Sisters.
Copyright © 2024 Mount Erin Heritage Centre - All Rights Reserved.